Tuesday 8 April 2014

Healthy Healthy Healthy

The 'Fresher's 15' is not a lie. The old, ancient myth of first year university students packing on the pounds is, at best, a well-observed truth.

And I have to admit, I have put on a little more weight than I would have liked since the beginning of last summer. So, in attempt to shred the pounds, I'm encouraging myself to eat healthily and generally live an 'off the TV'-style-life.

Here are my little tips if you yourself want to take these steps to, -wait for it- …(and I'mmmmmm) FEEELINNNNNN', GOOOODDD.

1. The Battle of the Snacks.

I have no self control over snacking, and it feels like a disease of some sort! The thing about living in uni halls is having your own food cupboard (and mine is IN MY ROOM!)

So, I found that buying 'treats' for a 'rainy day' never works out. Who was I kidding?? Instead, I fill my cupboards with Belvita Breakfast biscuits that come in a handy pack of 4 slabs. Go Ahead bars are also super great to keep - and they are always on offer!

If you're not into the cereal bar/biscuit hype, try switching your fruit up a little by throwing your grapes in the freezer! They are so moreish but it doesn't matter, because they is HEALTHY SON. Or, I came across an amazing way to make your plain, old bananas look more delectable! 
Image credit goes to Living In America
The process of making these seems pretty straightforward, but if you wanna know more, check out Living In America where I found the idea!

And, one of my all time favourites is peanut butter on apples! I'm not really a huge fan of peanut butter (it makes me break out a little and I can name at least 100 better textured foods) but I don't know, something about it with apples makes me want to have a peanut butter farm (? what?) and an apple orchard next to each other and hope they procreate. Okay, I don't know where I'm going with this but you get the gist…

2. The Struggle of the Fitness Freaks.

It takes a lot of pep-talking for me to encourage myself to go to the gym. I mean, once I'm there, I love the endorphins, the feeling of being active and the thought of last night's alcoholic intake disappearing one unit at a time. I would say that if you ARE wanting to start working out, be well equipped.

If you're going to the gym, I'd advise to have a lot of gym towels.
In general, the start up kit to working out is a lot of clothes you don't mind getting sweaty (ewwwww I know. So no fancy schmancy Ralph Lauren polos yeh) and a decent pair of trainers. If you are a lady or have some sort of bosom action going on, PLEASE invest in a sports bra. It's more comfortable for you and makes it a helluva lot easier to do your thing.

I myself have an arm band that I always take with me to hold my iPhone. If you're interested in one, the link for a cheapy is here. I'm sure you can find one if you're not from the UK too. Google is a blessin', eh?

3. It's All About The Mind

Your drive is everything in being healthy and staying healthy. The thing is, if you're not clear with yourself from the beginning, you're going to keep slipping. I always find myself trying to bend the rules, like, 'it's okay to have all this junk food when it isn't even my cheat day.' But it isn't, and if you keep making these little agreements to yourself, you're going to be disheartened by the results.

I think that more than anything, I've written this blog post to keep myself on the right tracks.
I hope that this helped, or encouraged you towards the things that you want for yourself :)
A great YouTube series I watch is David So's FFF (Funny Fat Fit) about his journey towards fitness.

You can check out the first episode right here! -> FFF


Stay great!

L.


***Disclaimer*** this post is all about being healthy. I am in no way encouraging weight loss, excess weight loss or condoning eating disorders. I am neither a nutritionist nor personal trainer: only someone going on this journey with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment