Thursday 30 January 2014

Time

Our lives are dominated by the concept of time. We don't often remember that it is a man made construction of illusion, designed to tie us to the conformist mindset.

This might be a completely random blog post to you, so let me give some context: I'm sat in my room at 7:29am. I've been awake for a little over an hour. I don't have lectures today. My body clock and I haven't had the best relationship. I treated him bad, he reciprocated and now we're in a toxic feud over how much sleep we need and when we need it! This is unhealthy, and I most definitely would not recommend it.

It's still dark outside and that is why I'm not so fond of winter. It's dark at 4pm and it's dark at 8am and I  feel like my days are an Alice in Wonderland door that I have to squeeze all my plans through (on the days that I do, actually, have plans.)

I've also watched 'About Time': a movie I've been sceptical to watch since learning that Rachel McAdams decided to play basically the same role of the time traveller's wife. …We know what a certain someone looks for in Tinder bios… An interesting story, owed more credit than received I'm sure. But it makes us think, doesn't it?

Sometimes it's a good idea to step back from the constraint of time keeping and relax. When people say 'I don't have time to waste', let them know that they can't waste what they haven't been give yet. The reality is that you collect time, not give it away.

What you do with your minutes is up to you - watch copious amounts of TV shows or learn to cook or write a blog post or get really, really good at whistling. 

That's the beauty of time, I guess. It's a burdening guessing game where we never really find out the answer. But it's fun to play.

So shout out to the Aztecs and all the religions and philosophers that intertwined ideas to create time. Thank you for the convenience of being able to pin point the exact moment when McDonald's is open. It kinda makes me feel like an amateur psychic.

No comments:

Post a Comment