Thursday 23 January 2014

Her

I'd like to think we were friends by now. So, in all honesty, this isn't a review. I'm reluctant to point out flaws in this movie. I'm merely sharing my discovery of a great film I watched at 2am. And so, with a prologue written, I'd like to introduce you to Her.

I've fallen in love with Her.

If you haven't heard of this movie, a) I'm surprised and b) you should definitely check the trailer out (which you can do right here).

It's a completely bizarre concept - set in a sci-fi future, where our techno-culture has expanded into unbelievable reaches, we're introduced to a man named Theodore (played brilliantly by Joaquin Phoenix. I might have a crush on him. Definite silver fox) His love life, like so many of us can relate to, hasn't been the smoothest.

His quirky yet fickle character finds a company that produces software beyond anything you could ever dream of - OS is an operating system that amplifies the already existing Siri by leaps and bounds. It organises your shit, it reads your emails out and it can even act as a personal companion, growing by learning. Theodore's OS is called Samantha (played fantastically by the gorgeous Scarlett Johansson) and they develop this unlikely relationship.

Anyways - the plot from there on shall be left a mystery as incentive to go see the film! It's so thought provoking in so many ways…

a) how we as a species are reliant on technology
b) the difficulty in unrequited love
c) the fear of the unknown
d) the prejudice we feel and even emit when we are faced with the unfamiliar

… are just a couple of things that crossed my mind when I watched it. It's so honest and raw and such a great piece of cinematic writing. It's an unlikely love story. And I'm a sucker for love stories. Kudos to Spike Jonze and the whole cast and crew.

Image source: http://cdn3.pitchfork.com/news/51817/3bf2e981.jpg
This is not my image.


L.



No comments:

Post a Comment