Tuesday 6 August 2013

Skins Pure - (Warning: Spoilers)

Cassie 'Motherfucking' Ainsworth (as Mike Bailey himself so eloquently put), is back.

It's a no-bullshit, straight to the point, not-everything's-lovely Cassie, and I adore her just as much now as I did back then.

But I don't think her episodes did her any justice. Her plot line thrived on suspense and action and adrenaline, and the twist with the modelling contract in Part II was beautifully timed and I didn't actually suspect that would happen, but to contrast, there wasn't a tingly aura that made you think, 'yeah, this is the Cassie. This is how she was when we left her.'

Which, I think, in some ways is great. I think I'm so bitter about Cassie's episodes because she was my favourite, and I'd hoped they'd kept her frozen in time.

I hadn't gotten my hopes up about Sid (I'd thought she'd moved past that and bringing him up again would be old news, although, welcome news I'm sure) but I didn't think that the character would have grown up so fast in such a short space of time.

Say goodbye to Cassie's catchphrases, 'oh wow' and 'lovely' and say hello to a controlled young lady, bustling through London life.

The development in Cassie's life in our absence has seen her Mum pass away and her Dad in not such a good shape - I wondered whether this was a necessary subplot or something to tipper the action of the 'main' story, as it were.

I have to admit, I did think that the story was very 'Maxxie/Sketch' at first, and definitely as the adverts limited our knowledge to 'somebody's taking secret pictures of Cassie, guess who'.

But it developed into a nice story. It was beautifully raw and honest and Cassie-like (she still dances the same way!), and I really enjoyed Skins Pure: Hannah Murray is so captivating to watch in the role of Cassie that she holds a chilling capability to suck you in and make you seem as though you were a first hand witness.

I think I'll miss Cassie the most. I think that her character, from the start, was somewhat of an underdog that the writers could apply any script to and still see an artistically stunning outcome to.

Also, her little brother Rueben, is the cutest ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment