Wednesday 3 July 2013

Skins Fire Part I - (Warning: Spoilers)



As 10 o'clock grew nearer and nearer, I fluctuated between a state of panic and anticipation as I was still at work. The clock hand clawed its way past half 9, which was to my relief, the time my Mum dismissed me (I am employed by my parents…)
I felt sick and dizzy from the cold that invaded my head and nose and throat, but I knew that those symptoms would have to be second priority for an hour.
And so, as 10 o'clock struck and the advert played, I found that the anxiousness took over my body. And there she was, the ever brilliant Effy Stonem.
The atmosphere was different because she was different. I couldn't help but think how her surroundings largely contrasted the Bristolian estate that she emerged into on the first episode of Skins (EVER). The business-y set up, in my opinion, reflected not only her change in profession and age, but her change in the way she carried herself, with a bit more of a careful confidence than what she once had. I say careful confidence, because although somewhat majestic in her character, Kaya plays a subtle version of Effy that portrays layers and a continuous barrier that we've all grown to love. A lot more subtle than the mute barrier we were first introduced to.
Skins Fire sees Effy in a stock-market environment, juggling the balance between her role as an assistant and her urge for something more. Her teenage days seem long gone, with only Naomi as her flatmate to remind her of the world we once peaked into.
We see sparks of her teenage character in her attitude though, so don't you worry your little minds, Effy fans, she's still here.
…And her thirst for a good party is still here too. WHICH I LOVED. I loved the contrast between her day job and her night life. She at first seemed more toned down, more monotonous in her daily structure, and for a moment I thought the Effy we 'knew' had disappeared. The Effy that lead Panda to Cassie's house to pick up drugs, and the Effy that hit Katie Fitch in the head in a nighttime brawl. But her love for strobe lights are ever present, hidden ever so discretely in the wee hours of the morning.
More and more complications happen as the story unfolds, and the snippet of next week's episode built just the right amount of tension and suspense to liven the seemingly mundane 'business' life up - the beginnings of an illegal scandal. OH MY. (A Wellard from Tracy Beaker is on it. Small world.)
A lot of people complained that they didn't want to see her job, or that they don't care for the business world. A lot of people complained that it seemed like she'd forgotten about Freddie or anybody else that was in the 2nd Generation. But I'm glad that the writers didn't succumb to our want of old characters. It would feel too familiar. It would feel like there was no progression, wouldn't it?
I so desperately wanted to hear a knock on the door and see Nicholas Hoult's gorgeous face on the other side, checking up on his baby sister, but that didn't happen. Good, I say. It's not their story. It's not "Skins - 2nd Generation catch up". It's Skins Fire. It's the burn from the pressure of the real world, and it's the flame that keeps you going.
I really enjoyed part one, and I'm so so excited for part two - NOAMILY. The sub-plot of Noamily might, in my opinion, override Effy's. But I also think the mash of the two should develop a decent mini storyline that everybody will be sad to see an end to.
I'm heartbroken already, and we've only just dipped our toes in.
Bring on Skins Fire Part II.
(You can catch Skins Fire Part II on Monday, 8th July at 10pm.)

No comments:

Post a Comment